Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The country that keeps on giving.

Imagine seeing a woman so frail, her ability to walk is so limited, she must be carried into the clinic. Imagine that right next to this woman, is a 14 year old child that is so grossly undernourished, he looks no older than 8. To me, this tragic scene is not just a figment of my imagination, but has developed during my brief time in Vietnam. Yesterday PVNF worked at a health clinic in Ben Tre, treating patients from all ages and walks of life. We offered them a chance to have their vitals taken, be seen by doctors, health education, and even had a pharmacy in an attempt to provide as many medications as possible to those in need. For the kids, PVNF even offered dental services, including dentists and dental students. My team participated in crowd control, the group of people that attempts to maintain calm and order in the mass of chaos and confusion. Throughout the day I led Vietnamese men, women, and children to designated areas, to wait for their chance to enjoy the many opportunities PVNF had to offer. With each new person, my heart dropped slightly, seeing the immense amount of pain and suffering these Vietnamese citizens underwent. I felt helpless, unable to create a permanent solution to their problems, or the problems of millions of others both in Vietnam and other countries. I quickly realized that, although we could not possibly solve all their problems, our work in Vietnam was immensely important. The joys I saw throughout the day convinced me that we were making a difference in the lives of hundreds of Ben Tre citizens. The happiness I saw when they finally were able to see the doctors, as well as the unending thank-you’s from almost every patient convinced me that these men and women would not forget us, or the work we had done. I realized that, although there were limited tools and resources, the care and love we displayed exceeded any they had seen before. Although I was exhausted at the end of the day, my spirits had been lifted, and my heart for service renewed. I was reminded why I had come to help serve the people of Vietnam. I understood that the time I spent in the clinic was not about helping the people as a group, but to care for each individual to the utmost of my ability. I came to Vietnam hoping to help educate and heal the citizens I met, but have received more knowledge in 3 days from them than I can ever possibly hope to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment