Friday, July 22, 2011

Narita: All Good Things Must End

I'm currently writing my final blog entry as I sit in Narita International Airport on the outskirts of Tokyo. Alan and Jacob have just left for their home and I'm on hour six of an eight hour layover.

Six hours is a long time to think and write. Alex already figured the exact number of minutes we all spent together so I won't do that again. But I will try to recollect as much as I can of the tail end of this surreal blur of events that has been my life for the past 20 days.

1. Looking at, picking out, and then eating two deliciously crispy fried snakes. The next day, taking shots of another snake's blood and then endlessly nibbling on its rubbery flesh while drinking more of its blood with the waiter.
2. Haggling tank tops down to $2 dong each, changing colors and sizes repeatedly, and being cursed by the merchant. Feeling guilty yet triumphant after every success at Ben Thanh market.
3. Getting a thoroughly intimate massage at Quynh Nhu Hand & Foot Massage parlor. From a very flexible man.
4. Trying to find the legendary Highlands Coffee club sandwich and failing.
5. Considering but never actually using the toilet-showers at the Kien Giang hotel the way they were obviously built to be used.
6. Teaching hundreds of kids how to brush their teeth at one of the clinics. Actually spending most of that time running around and scaring kids with the teeth models.
7. Appreciating the view from the roof of the hotels in Kien Giang.
8. British accents. All the bloody time.
9. Getting excited to observe a pelvic exam, hearing the words "lube those fingers up", and backing out of said pelvic exam.
10. Singing the "Star Spangled Banner" at the end of a hilarious night of karaoke, feeling paranoid about communists, and then singing "Sai Gon Dep Lam."
11. Dancing with locals and security guards, trying on Japanese slippers, and generally integrating Zara into the PVNF after hours itinerary.
12. Somehow adjusting our bodies to wake up at 5, eat, sleep for 3 hours, work for 7 hours, sleep for 3 hours, eat, relax/rage, and repeat.
13. Ingesting jitters-inducing amounts of caffeine, ice, condensed milk, and sugar.
14. Helping hundreds of people a day and changing thousands of lives (patient, volunteer, and professionals alike) over the course of our two week adventure.

I'm positive I've forgotten so much cool stuff that happened but then again, most of my memory is tied to my camera and what it remembers. I am also beyond sad that I missed the last night with everyone with PVNF. I'm sure this list would have been quite longer if I'd been there to see the festivities last night. However, I think everyone deserves a little break for all of the amazing work that we did together these past two weeks. I've said this before but this 2011 PVNF Summer Service Camp has been one of the most fun and rewarding experiences I've ever had, an ideal blend of work and play. I am glad that I can call many of you friends and I hope that we all can see each other again, whether that be in the States, Canada, or France.

To hard work done, new friendships made, and life in Vietnam!

-Sean Nguyen



No comments:

Post a Comment