Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ben Tre: Wee!


During our second clinic at Ben Tre today, I met a girl named Qui. I had to get her to spell that using a chalkboard because I'm not quite fluent in Vietnamese- it sounded like "WEE" to me. I accidentally told her that I was 200 years old instead of 20 and from then on she would call me "Old Man Sean". I was wearing some black wayfarer sunglasses; she said that I looked like a fish (a fish big enough to feed her family for 3 days). I told her that I lived in a dormitory with 9 floors and she was boggled that a building could be that tall.

But the best moment though was when I asked her if we were friends. She replied "No". I was surprised and was about to ask her why when she said "No, we're brother and sister!" with a goofy smile. It was one of those things that little kids say that they don't really think means anything but makes our trip so much more meaningful. We go to Vietnam with PVNF and categorize a certain amount of medicines for a certain amount of people. We treat entire towns as statistics. We perform these well planned, clinical, organized services for the people but it's the personal connections that make the project meaningful.

To another clinic day at 7:00AM!

PS. This dude Jeff is super weird.







No comments:

Post a Comment