Monday, July 11, 2011

Clinic Day One


What sounds like an intimidating job assignment for the first clinic of the trip, crowd control turned out to be one of the most interesting and enjoyable experiences thus far. I was placed at the entrance of the building and told to make sure the people waiting got medical attention did not get upset and push to be first in line. Those living in the countryside struggle to make ends meet, and opportunities to recieve healthcare are few and far between, so when a medical group such as ours comes through, hundreds of people show up in hopes of finally seeing a doctor.





While helping the line move along, I was able to pause and listen to some of the stories the locals had to tell. My favorite was a little 10 year old girl named My Linh, who I met in the very beginning of the day. She was there to wait for her dad, and asked me if I could save a stuffed animal for her since she wasn't able to go in for herself. I didn't know if I really could do it, but I gave her a wink and a smile and told her I would try. Throughout the course of the day, she came back to ask me questions, teach me games, tell me about herself and her nine siblings, and remind me to keep an eye out for that stuffed animal...


Imagine her delight when, at the end of the day, we were able to admit all of the remaining people waiting to be examined and (after a full medical and dental exam) she finally got the stuffed animal she wanted! She got THREE, actually, for being such a good sport about getting her teeth pulled.




It was definitely a good first day.


-Stina

No comments:

Post a Comment